Description: Magnolia bark, also known as Hou Po in Pinyin, is one of well-known Chinese herbs. As a matter of fact, it is just one medicinal part from magnolia officinalis, whose root bark, flower, seed and bud can be also used medicinally. In brief its barks promote gastrointestinal motility and improve bowel function; seeds improve eyesight and tonify qi; buds are a good gynecological medicine.
Magnolia officinalis, eucommia and phellodendron are called “three wood” herbs, which are known for their three medicinal parts of dried barks of trunk, branch, and root. And magnolia tree bark is widely used for a variety of diseases. According to related studies, currently there are more than 200 Chinese patent drugs that are based on this herb. No wonder now it is made into various magnolia bark products, such as supplement, liquid extract, capsules, tea, powder, chewing gum, day cream and night cream, pills, tincture, tablets, toothpaste, and so on. Compared to its traditional uses, modern magnolia bark uses have been greatly expanded, including sleep disorders or insomnia, anxiety, weight loss, stress, high blood pressure, bad breath, belly fat, birth control, prostate problems, gastroparesis, hair loss, and more. And apparently its pharmacology can tell more truth about this amazing herb.
Hou Pu promotes Qi circulation; transforms dampness, resolves stagnation; relieves asthma; descends the Qi of the Lungs, stomach, and large intestine (directs upward-rebelling Qi downward); warms and transforms phlegm. Its benefits are:
• Accumulation of damp or food causing stagnation of Qi in the middle Jiao: distention and fullness of epigastrium, abdomen, and chest, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea. This is a key herb for eliminating distention and fullness.
• Lung phlegm: wheezing, cough with difficult breathing, stifling sensation in the chest, copious sputum.
• Most effective herb to promote Qi circulation in this category.
• Binds to GABA receptors, produces calming effect.
• Reduces allergic and asthmatic reactions.
• Counters effects of excessive cortisol, beneficial for insomnia and anxiety with high cortisol.
How to use: Hou Po bulk herb is used in the daily dosage of 6 to 10 g. In most cases, they are cooked in boiling water to make tea or soup for consumption. The herb is also administered in pill, powder and tincture forms.